Friday, March 12, 2010

Two weeks

The last two weeks you may have felt like I dropped off the face of the Earth. Well I did! I am in the middle of no where PA (don't tell the locals I said that). The claim to fame right now is (or was) the American Idol Aaron Kelly. Anyway, I am out here near Williamsport, PA for work. I will elaborate on work a little more since I didn't know too much before.

Work is going well. I understand my job, I can trouble shoot, and know what to do if there are problems, of which there are many! I understand what everyones role is on the rig and how I fit in. In my position I am the low rung on the totem pole. Basically, I tell them what they are drilling through and that gives the Geologist a better idea of where we should be going. The geologist relays this information to the driller, directional drillers and company man. I hope once I gain more experience I will be more useful.
My first week here didn't go so well. I was a sample catcher and learning the ropes. My trainer had to leave for a funeral so I trained under someone relatively new. I looked forward to the day when my trainer (Q, as I will call her returned). Q finally returned and life has been great since. I have confidence in my abilities to do my job and have been given the opportunity to do the work required on my own. I am responsible for operations during my shift. I am settling into a routine and look forward to the next well I am on. I understand the rig crews and company men I work for might not be as nice as the ones I have had here but I am up for the challenge. I plan on moving up and advancing myself while I am here. Doing the best job I can is not only good for me, but my company, and our clients!
David came to visit me this week while I was training! He is on spring break so he was not busy with too much else. I was glad he decided to come. He was able to come out to the rig and see what I will be doing everyday. I look foward to seeing what he tells his parents when he gets home. Q said he should come because he was off and it would be good for us to be together since we didn't know when the next time I would be off. I may have to go directly to another job from here. Everything is uncertain.
I am enjoying my new job and look forward to the challenges I will be presented with when I start working on my own.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I was wondering where you were!! Good to see things are going well! Any word on being off for the wedding?

    ReplyDelete