Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Treadmill TrialsI I

Yesterday was my first run for week 5 or mile week 8. From here on out I am going to refer to the week by the mileage on my long run. This week is week 8. I needed to run 4 miles. The weather wasn't so great to run outside. A front had just moved through in the morning and brought cooler temps and wind. Lots of wind. You would think I would be used to the wind by now but not when it comes to running.
Instead of running outside and fighting the wind I decided to run on the gym treadmills. I am sure this winter I will need to run inside more as we have ice here. There is no way I am running on ice if I can help it. I am just too clumsy.
I got all ready and headed to the treadmill for my run. I saw there was a new program on the treadmill in which you can run on trails through parks. I chose to run through New Zealand. I thought I selected the incline up to 2%. I did not. I got up to 4% on the inclines.
Now let's talk about speed. I started at 5 mph, which for me is about a middle of the road speed. I don't know what it is about running on a treadmill but it seems impossible. I was doing ok until I hit my first major incline. The scenery was very pretty but I think some bird or nature sounds would help with running. Anyway back to the incline. I don't want to admit but I struggled the rest of the run. I stuck to 4.8 mph the rest of the time and was able to finish 4 miles in a pitiful 55 minutes. I know I can do better than this. Heck I should be able and have run 4 miles in 45 minutes.
I am going to stick to running outside as much as possible. I just hope I don't have to run a long run on the treadmill or I am going to be in big trouble.

The next few days should be interesting. I am going to run my other 4 miles on Thursday and then immediately run 8 miles on Friday as we are busy this weekend. I have a run with colleagues scheduled for Monday and do not want to try and run 4 miles with them tired. The weather is supposed to be nice as well the next few days and cold this weekend.

Have a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment