Friday, April 1, 2016

Almost there

PSA: toe picture incoming.

I consulted a running club in the area for advice about my defective toenail and some relatives who have played contact sports. The advice from the running club was to wait until the nail could be wiggled off. My relatives suggested cutting the nail back and filling it down. The nail wasn't really bothering me to much so I thought I would let it alone. Well after work I had changed my mind.

I got home and only had the intention of taking back the part of the nail that was already detached. Well that didn't happen. It probably has something to do with how much I like popping things. I got to work and ended up pushing the limits. I decided to just take the nail off. Thing is the left side of my nail was still slightly attached. That is the side of the nail that I always have a problem with becoming ingrown. I have never actually had an ingrown nail but I have had to keep an eye on it forever. I had several infections before in my toes and they can be awful. The left side bled a bit and I had some work to do to get the nail out. Picture incoming:
Day after
This is what my toe looked like on Thursday after I got done running 5 miles. I put antibiotic cream, and a bandage on it on Wednesday night. I had little bleeding and almost no pain. Thursday morning I bought more supplies at Walmart.  I wore open toe shoes so as to not compress my foot. I kept my bandage on for running. I successfully completed 5 miles at 4.9 miles per hour. I was and am very happy about this! No blood or pain. I got home and took off the bandage and it looked fine. I am still nursing my foot. I am keeping a bandage and cream on it on when wearing shoes and out where I could get it dirty.
Today I had to wear closed toed shoes for part of the day. I just kept a bandage on my toe. Everything seemed to be fine. I did switch to open toed shoes when  I got to work. I soaked my foot in epsom salt when I got home today. Everything seems to be going well. I am going to baby my foot as much as possible. I am slightly worried about my 20 mile run. I am not sure if I will wear a bandage that wraps around my foot. I may just wear a very sticky bandage and call it good.  We will see what happens and I will let you know of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment