Sunday, May 15, 2016

Return to running and new goal

Hey all. After a week of taking it easy and a week of walking on vacation (upcoming post) I have returned to running. Yippy. I mainly run to keep my weight in check and after vacation I sure do need that. I am also trying to be mindful of what I put in my mouth as this is more important than getting exercise. I haven't gone back to counting calories quite yet. On to running news.

 I decided to sign-up for the Tulsa Route 66 Marathon. The race takes place the weekend before thanksgiving and I have the Friday before off. I am excited and nervous all at the same time. I changed my pace group so I will hopefully be ahead of the walkers and not have the opportunity to fall. The number of runners is set to 17K so it is a little smaller than OKC. I plan on lining up right with my pace flag and sticking with them as well. The weather should be cooler and make running much more comfortable. I would much rather run in cold than hot.

My training runs have been going alright. I am trying to increase my pace. I know I can run faster than 12 min/mile and have been consistent around 10:30-11:30 min/mile depending on how tired I am. I can definitely keep up a 10 min/mile pace for at least a mile. I am going to work on getting my pace to around 10:30 for the marathon in Nov. I am hopefully this is plenty of time. I trained for the Houston half at 10 min/mile. I wasn't able to keep up that pace but I think I will be able to stick to 10:30 if I start training now. I have found hills really help with my pace and will start those again soon. I am also hoping running after work in the heat of the day will help with pace when it starts to get cooler. I do look like a red monster when I run in the heat though. Oh well.

I am excited to continue my adventure to run a marathon and will of course keep updating my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment